Monday 10 May 2021

Laura Mackie, Student Work


Premature Grief
Paintings made with Butterfly Pea Flower in recycle frames. 
Largest frame measures 12" x 6"


The artwork, Premature Grief, is a meditation on my own fear of dementia in my life. Whether developing it myself, or being faced with it in my mother or partner, the diagnosis of Alzheimer’s in several women in my extended family has suddenly given weight to this threat. Presented as a series of images within five picture frames, illustrations reflecting the illness itself is punctuated with text describing my own fears concerning it. Imitating watercolor painting with Butterfly Pea Flower dye, the content of this work will eventually fade to white, due to the fugitive quality of the dye. In this, the work itself demonstrates the loss felt through dementia.




Above samples from turmeric, butterfly pea flower and hibiscus. 


Research Book






 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Student Work, Silk Painting

Kate Barker Silk Painting  2020 40" x 25' Timaree McKinney Silk Painting 2021 40" x 25'