Friday 30 July 2021

Timaree McKenny, Student Work

Installation
Seven natural dyed silks (each 6 foot in length) and scent (essential oils). 


Coming Soon
Video



Front view. 


Space between wall and silk. Essential oils placed on cotton pads, tacked to wall. 


Statement:

Who am I? As a human being. As a daughter. As a sister. As a friend. As an artist. My spiritual self is me. My inner-self is developed from reflection and love. I choose how I express my outer-self through observation and experience. 


Chakras create one's spiritual body, playing essential roles within all components of one's life. They create, sustain, and explore all feelings and emotions within yourself. 


For this personal project, I created my vision of my spiritual self, displaying who I am on the inside. With the use of silk, natural dyes, and scent, I designed my seven chakras. 


Natural dye as an ingredient and silk as a fabric connect directly to the human body in which all are creations from Earth's nature. Using the technique of natural dyeing, I see a correlation of the events within my life — do my best to prepare, react accordingly, and accept all results. The characteristics, soft and dependable, are represented by silk; a material that is soothing, calming, and trustworthy; this is how I describe myself as a human being. 


The designs, colors, and designated scent of each silk resemble the specific meaning of the seven chakras and how they resonate within me. I envisioned each of my chakras to create the designs based on how I saw them within my body and on a spiritual level. 


There are two chakras that I feel challenge me the most as a person. In the third chakra, solar / "I do," I created an intense crystalized design, soaked in a natural marigold dye to represent yellow, and selected a peppermint oil to embrace my confidence and self-esteem. 


For the seventh chakra, crown / "I understand," I created an off-kilter linear design, soaked in indigo and Roja natural dyes to represent violet, and selected frankincense oil to appreciate my spiritual connection and life purpose. 


Displaying my inner feelings and emotions to the outside world initially made me feel  vulnerable and sensitive. Once I was able to walk past each silk chakra and experience the scent, I let go of the negative thoughts and insecurities. Through reflection and love, I felt proud and empowered to share my inner-self with the world.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Student Work, Silk Painting

Kate Barker Silk Painting  2020 40" x 25' Timaree McKinney Silk Painting 2021 40" x 25'